My one of client is victim of this mass hack on network solution hosted blog. I am going to share some interesting fact about this vulnerability story.
- when our client contacted to Network Solution support tell them to buy SSL as your site is not secure. (6 April)
- I fixed theme files which is altered by this hack and checked my database for any possible code. found a funx.php on theme file and called in footer.php. site seems to fix that time for me. I used to clear my cookies to check at every refresh. my avast home antivirus and chrome browser help me to do that. Suddenly my blog database connection gone due to network solution effort i think. I changed all username and password for ftp, database, wp-admin users (8 April)
- When i wake up at 9 April found hacked blog again this time this this is another issue. Theme footer have reference to a function and 1 file included that is created on server. not able to remember the name 2 random file without any extension. I am not sure how someone put file on my server. I fixed the site again and and checked multiple time with clearing the cookies. Seems fixed. I am very curious to know how this thing is happing to the site. anyone placing file on my server. (9-April).
- Seems everything is fixed i start working on to make site secure with ssl. fed up with redirect error and i finaly make that working. (10 April)
- Url is now https. i loosed my page rank and all back link on new site. (10 April)
- Till now not noticed any infection issue (14 April)
Now i am getting strange errors on site not sure this is infection or ?????
Error in ISAPI_Rewrite helper ISAPI extension.
12030 - The connection with the server was terminated abnormally
File: .\rwhelper.cpp, Line: 1290.
More update coming . Feel free to comment. Thanks
Update 18 April
Site is again showing virus warning. I did all step to resolve nothing works. then i rename .htaccess upload a 1.php on root with following code
< ?php phpinfo(); ?>
According to my knowledge this is server issue. This is no more any WordPress Issues. May be this problem is solved by Network solution before people notiiced that.
Update 21 April
I gave up my effort with Network Solution and i shifted to another Host.
Best response on this issue
Summary: A web host had a crappy server configuration that allowed people on the same box to read each others’ configuration files, and some members of the “security” press have tried to turn this into a “WordPress vulnerability” story.
WordPress, like all other web applications, must store database connection info in clear text. Encrypting credentials doesn’t matter because the keys have to be stored where the web server can read them in order to decrypt the data. If a malicious user has access to the file system — like they appeared to have in this case — it is trivial to obtain the keys and decrypt the information. When you leave the keys to the door in the lock, does it help to lock the door?
A properly configured web server will not allow users to access the files of another user, regardless of file permissions. The web server is the responsibility of the hosting provider. The methods for doing this (suexec, et al) have been around for 5+ years.
I’m not even going to link any of the articles because they have so many inaccuracies you become stupider by reading them.
If you’re a web host and you turn a bad file permissions story into a WordPress story, you’re doing something wrong.
P.S. Network Solutions, it’s “WordPress” not “Word Press.”